La Villita
La Villita of Old San Antonio   Located on the serene south bank of the San Antonio River, La Villita was San Antonio's first neighborhood. Originally a settlement of primitive huts for the Spanish soldiers stationed at the Mission San Antonio de Valero, it was also the site of General Santa Ana's cannon line in the Battle of the Alamo in 1836. During the late 1800s immigrants from all over the world, including Germany, France, Ireland, England and Mexico, moved into the area. This diverse cultural mix is illustrated by the variety of architectural styles in La Villita's buildings. After extensive restoration, La Villita was dedicated in 1941 and became a center of the community and a tribute to the pioneers of San Antonio. Since then La Villita has grown beyond the vision of "cool shady places, of profuse banks of blossoming native trees and shrubs." Today La Villita is a thriving collection of over 20 artisan shops, jewelry shops, clothing stores and galleries. It is also home to several appetizing restaurants that feature the taste of San Antonio.