San Fernando Cathedral
San Fernando Cathedral   Founded in 1731 by settlers from the Canary Island, San Fernando Cathedral is among the oldest Catholic parish churches in the southwest and the oldest cathedral sanctuary in the United States. For more than 285 years, San Fernando has served San Antonio and contributed greatly to the city's growth. The church was named after Ferdinand III of Castile. The baptismal front, a gift from Charles III, is the oldest piece of liturgical furnishing in the cathedral. Texas hero James Bowie married Ursula Veramendi here in 1831. During the Battle of the Alamo General Santa Anna flew a flag from the church's tower and used it as a lookout. It is believed that the remains of Davy Crockett, William B. Travis and Jim Bowie, all defenders of the Alamo, are buried here. San Fernando is still considered the heart and soul of San Antonio, and has played an integral part in the growth of the city. Located at 115 Main Avenue, between South Main and South Flores Streets in Main Plaza. The church welcomes visitors from 6am to 6pm daily.